Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station & Outer Coastal Plain Vineyard Association: A viticultural map of New Jersey, containing specific and detailed information which lets you select and view separate types of information (climate, land use, soil drainage, etc.) about any location in New Jersey. Clicking on widgets in the top left corner allows you to manipulate the data for your specific needs; below details the available widgets:
- The default extent widget brings you to the home (default) map.
- The find my location widget helps pinpoint your location.
- The legend widget explains what shades, colors, and pins indicate, for the layers selected at that time.
- The layers widget is one of the most valuable instruments this tool has to offer. Using this, you can check off the information you’d like to observe, such as: New Jersey wineries, American Viticultural Areas, counties, wine grape suitability, average precipitation, growing seasons, and more.
- The basemap gallery widget provides background maps, to alter the appearance of selected data.
- The measure widget allows you to select area (square miles), distance (miles), and location (coordinates) by clicking on the map and using your mouse to draw the desired measurement.
- The details widget gives credit to the groups that helped make this mapping tool possible.
- The share widget allows you to send maps to others, through e-mail or social media.
- The print widget allows you to print your map.
The Basics of Vineyard Site Evaluation and Selection, Department of Horticulture, Cornell-Geneva: Drs Alan Lakso and Tim Martinson have done an exemplary job of describing the considerations in vineyard site selection. It contains some very useful, relevant, and concise advice for site selection. It is highly recommended you read this page before establishing a vineyard.